Sunday 9 November 2014

Flashbacks and book sightings: La Boudoir

Having been tipped off by the lovely Cara Sutra that the launch of the Boiler Room at La Boudoir Boutique was happening, I took myself off to the East Kent coast. Having been a student at the University of Kent I have all sorts of depraved memories attached to Herne Bay, Whitstable and Canterbury. I was therefore wildly overexcited on the bus from Herne Bay to Birchington and full of vivid flashbacks of motorbikes, men in leather, giggly post-party/post-coital stumbles homeward and all the rest of it.

La Boudoir is lovely, too: a series of beautifully decorated rooms (including the aforementioned Boiler Room which combines steampunk and dungeon aesthetics with some really good furniture and a tempting range of toys); friendly staff and a welcoming atmosphere. I was also happy to record a sighting of Books In The Wild.



It's always nice to see books on shelves and do a quick namecheck/headcount to see who and what is represented - I spotted Aishling Morgan and Kay Jaybee among others.


more than one bookshelf, as well...


A thoroughly good way to spend a damp Saturday afternoon - check them out if you're in the area.

3 comments:

  1. Sadly Whitstable, though still a nice town, has succumbed to the lure of gentrification but Herne Bay is still exactly how I remember it as a kid. Seasalter and Tankerton are worth a visit if you are in that neck of the woods (beach?).
    Some of my friends were also students in Canterbury. It is an agreeably genteel location for youthful debauchees to despoil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Birchington reminds me of camping there and heading straight to Margate to get on the piss as soon as the tent was pitched.

    ReplyDelete